I’m passionate about storytelling in all its forms, and write articles, interviews and creative non-fiction for various publications in English and German. As well as writing regular book reviews, I try to cross boundaries in my articles, whether bringing together unexpected ideas, playing with unconventional formats, working collaboratively or writing about topics close to my heart – translation, asylum and immigration. I’ve had articles published in magazines including Modern Poetry in Translation, Boneshaker and Oh Comely, as well as the books Tausend Tode schreiben and Phänomene des Performativen in der Lyrik.
Selected articles in English
- Literary Tastings – a monthly book blog for the Goethe-Institut UK, introducing German books in translation to an anglophone readership
- Nora Gomringer – a brief introduction to the German poet, for Poetry International
- “Clemens Meyer & Jenny Erpenbeck on the German Novel” – an article on contemporary German fiction, and why you should read it, for The Skinny
- “Role Reversal: Naomi Alderman on The Power“ – an interview with Naomi Alderman on the novel which later won her the 2017 Baileys Prize, for The Skinny
- “Mapping the world with poetry” – an article on the German focus at StAnza’s 2016 festival
- Interview with writer Ali Smith for Cafebabel
- “A US immigration fairytale: happily ever after?” – an article on immigration policies in the USA for Cafebabel
Selected articles in German
- #lbm16-Report – musings from the Leipzig Book Fair co-authored with Marisa Rohrbeck, for Litlog
- “Populäre Kritzelei” – notes from a conference on pop music for Litlog
- “boat people projekt: Bretter, die die Welt bedeuten” – an encounter with two young Syrian asylum seekers for Cafebabel
I’ve had poems and short stories published in various magazines, including Dactyl, The Interpreter’s House, The Fankle, Prisma and The Treacle Well. I also work on the webcomic Brewed Awakening alongside illustrator Beth Barnett.