I’ve been translating from German (and occasionally French, Russian and Belarusian) for almost a decade now, after cutting my teeth translating for the online European magazine Cafebabel. My favourite projects have involved working with poetry and theatre plays, but I also translate journalism, academic articles (for both publication and research purposes) and all manner of bureaucracy.
I’m thrilled to be working on translations of the German poet Nora Gomringer and Belarusian poet Volha Hapeyeva. My selected poems of Nora Gomringer, Hydra’s Heads, is now out with Burning Eye Books.
Selected published translations
- Arno Camenisch: an extract from The Last Snow. The Riveter, December 2018.
- Nora Gomringer: Hydra’s Heads. Burning Eye Books, August 2018.
- Nora Gomringer: selected poems. Poetry International, May 2018.
- Authors on the ball: A selection of literary non-fiction pieces responding to football for the Goethe-Institut United Kingdom. June 2016.
- Kai Sina: ‘Reading The Magic Mountain in Arizona: Susan Sontag’s reflections on Thomas Mann.’ Naharaim, Journal of German – Jewish Literature and Culture History. Volume 9, Issues 1-2. November 2015.
- Various: Dialogical Humanities. University of Göttingen. Issue 1. October 2013.
Performed translations, within multilingual plays
- Rzgar Kalil, Luise Rist: extracts of Eine Stadt verändert sich. Premiered in Göttingen on 20 February 2016.
- Nina de la Chevallerie, Xolani Mdluli: extracts of Schattenboxer. Premiered in Göttingen on 13 December 2014.